7.11.2016

Full Summer Swing @ the Seashore: July 9th, 2016





I managed to pop down Wildwood this weekend. Here's a short report low on the photos, most of which are from Instagram and not taken with a report in mind so they're not so good (sorry). I was up early (5am) Saturday to get the first Philly-to-Wildwood express bus, which hit zero traffic and allowed us to arrive on the island right on time, around 9:30am. I walked the few blocks to my folks and we got caught up over coffee and bagels. My sister, bro-in-law Tom and my just-abut-3-years-old nephew were also down for the weekend so while my mom watched the baby, the rest of us took a 15 minute ride over to Cape May Brewery to fill up a crap ton of growlers we have between myself, my Dad, and Tom.


You have to do the tour in order to get into the bar/sampling area but since my Dads a regular the gentleman just let us walk right through on our own where I snapped a few pictures of their operation.






Once in the bar we checked what they had on tap and had a few samples before decided to each get a flight. For those of you who don't know what that is, its 4 (or sometimes 5) half pints, each of a different brew. The flights here only cost $5 each, such a deal. 






After you try some samples you fill out a card and they call you up when your flight is ready. Since we got there at noon opening there was a very little wait and our beers were up in a flash. I've had the Devil's Reach before (very good) but hadn't tried any of the others. I really liked the Beets By May and the Summer Catch. The Misty Dawn was a little bitter for my taste but I enjoyed the fruity notes it had.



My favorite thing they had on tap I've had before - the Cranberry Bog - so I got a 32oz growler to go. We also got various growlers filled with the Buscuits & Honey (bleh), Apple Bomb (the freaking BOMB, so good!), Coastal Evacuation (I'm just not a huge fan of double IPA's but this one was not too bad), Salty Lips (meh) and Sophisticated Lady (delicious). The Bog is pictured - isn't it pretty? Tastes like heaven. After returning from the brewery we hung out in my folks yard most of the afternoon enjoying some BBQ and brats, and I finished the entire growler.  


It called for a chance of rain all day, and was overcast, so we kept checking the weather for an opening to take the little guy up the boardwalk and hit some rides. While my parents went up into North Wildwood for some barhopping, my sister, Tom and I loaded my nephew into the stroller and headed up around 6, of course stopped to marvel at the Great White, and made a stop at the unbeatable Macks Pizza (Tom and my sister are big fans of Macks rival Sams, so they waited til we got down that end of the boardwalk to get their grub on). No pictures of pizza, too busy scarfing it down to soak up all that Bog I'd been guzzling all afternoon. 


After pizza we popped onto Surfside pier for the little monster to go wild on the kiddie rides. He'll do just about anything we put him on, running from one ride to another, and begging to go on rides he's still way too small for. So far his only coasters are Road Runner Railway at Great Adv and Vapor Trail at Sesame Place. Last summer while at Morey's he was 35"s, just an inch shy of getting on the junior coasters like Flizter, Doo Wopper (wild mouse), etc but we measured him before we left the house and he's now 40 inches! So that meant one thing: I could take him on the Flitzer!


This was one of my first coasters and I still love it, and insisted I be the one to take him on. He was so happy to ride this, and while he still doesn't "get" queues (I just want to ride! I want car number 2!") he seemed to love every second and was absolutely beaming when we got off. At one point later we stopped at the back of the pier to hit the bathrooms under the Nor'easter and the little guy watched it cycle and started trying to climb out of the stroller telling us he was going to ride it. Not so soon, young jedi!

All four of us rode KONG (Larson flyers) which he is also newly tall enough for w/ an adult, and also loved. I let him control the rudder so it was a very mild ride with no snapping. Again, he loved it. I really love what Morey's did with this ride by elevating it over the boardwalk. So well done.  



My sis took my nephew off to ride a few other things while Tom and I decided to hit up some big rides like Atmosfear (Larson drop tower), and after we were finally doing "IT", Morey's KMG Afterburner claw/frisbee style ride. The only frisbee I've done is Maxair @ CP and "IT" always seems to spin much more intensely than the larger models, and if you've been paying attention, I have a serious aversion to spinning rides so I've avoided this thing since they installed it, but have had a mild curiosity to ride it since Maxair last year. What's seriously f*cked about this ride is it only had a very, very small lapbar (no seatbelts either), without anything else to really hold onto. And while Tom and I are both bigger guys, and had to be stapled in pretty nicely, we both got some great airtime.


When they first started the cycle is didn't spin much at all, feeling more like an S&S swing type ride just spinning slightly, when suddenly about halfway through I swear they cranked it up to 13 or something. Holy christ, that ride is insanely great and has gone from an "I don't ride that because it spins" to "I must ride that thing everytime I pass it". The spinning didn't bother me at all and having just the lapbar to restrain you gives great air and hangtime. Hands up all the way. Ride of the weekend for me.  

After we left Surfside, on the way back down toward my folks we stopped for some Kohr Bros custard as always, and then popped on Mariners Pier to hit up a few more kiddie rides with the youngin' (from his stroller, like a dictator, he insisted lol). 


It was getting late and we were feeling occasional sprinkles of rain and with the kid in the stroller we headed home, stopping on Adventure Pier so Tom and I could hit up the Screaming Swing in a light mist, which was great as always, and where the ops embarrassingly recognized me from Memorial Day weekend LOL - I ride this thing too much! The Great White had a nice little line but the kid was getting cranky out way past his bedtime, and with the on-and-off rain we called it a night. Regretting not riding TGW, but I got my Flitzer on, "IT" was a big highlight, and I'll be back down in a few weeks and can get my GW laps then. It was more about the kid and I'm glad we got him on some rides he wasn't tall enough for last year. We all had a great time. He has no fear and he's only 8 inches from riding El Toro! Something tells me when the time comes he's gonna hop right on with us. 

Ops all around were great all night, seems they've sorted out any staffing issues they had earlier in the season. I love the ability to always go down to Wildwood, Morey's is underrated with some great rides. I love going up there at night - great atmosphere, lighting packages, food, just everything. 


Rides:
IT x1
KONG x1
Atmosfear x1
Flitzer x1
Screamin Swing x1


Sunday we got up to giant breakfast my Dad made and we had some of the Apple Bomb we got before I headed back to the Wildwood-to-Philly express since I had to be in work bright and early this morning. I leave you with this photo I took from my quiet, bus ride home Sunday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment